On the premise of safety driving, users are eager to pursue driving comfort and entertainment.
Till now, voice recognition and gesture technique are in the process of development. Comparing with gesture technique, “voice recognition” is more like a technique innovation, that is, there’s less available space for design in the field of “voice recognition”.
Automotive HUD interface and gesture control in driving environment provides an opportunity to bring new experience for every drivers. It is more convenient and safety and we have seen that many prototypes and researches have focused on this field. This project has proposed another way of controlling music while driving by using gestures.
Research test is conducted based on a Logitech virtual driving device. The product prototype is composed of three technical modules: 1. Arduino 2.Ultrasound Sensor 3. Infrared Sensor
1. Comparison Test
Touch screen operation VS three-dimensional gesture operation on music player
Get to know about merit and demerit of two kinds of operating gestures
This test is conducted in Human-Computer Interaction Lab at School of Design, Hunan University. Two kinds of music player (touch screen and three dimensional gesture) have been used in this test. Test participators are asked to finish some specified tasks (major tasks) while driving on driving simulator. During this process, all traffic rules should be obeyed. Besides,test participators should finish a minor task (Press a voice-making device as soon as possible when seeing a light spot on left bottom of the screen).
18 people possessing driving license with different ages, occupations and driving years, etc.
2. Test Flow
1. Get to know driving environment, touch screen operation and three-dimensional operation.
2. Set three kinds of driving environment with different mental load.
3. Complete minor tasks in the three kinds of driving environment listed above.
4. Complete touch screen and three-dimensional gesture operation in the three driving environment listed above.
5. Interview users after virtual driving.
6. Fill in assessment form.
1. The action representing “Next Song” will affect the action representing “Previous Song”.
2. Music volume will change when removing hand from sensor area.
3. Users are not familiar with the action representing “Play”.
4. Moving distance of gesture representing “Next Song” and “Previous Song” is overly long.
5. The time for conducting “stop” action is kind of long.
6. For some actions, there’s no response from sensor.
1. Use “Pat” as the action representing “Play” and “Stop”.
2. Set sound response after finishing a hand action.
3. Put G-Player at the place within user’s view.
4. Add some 3-D gestures based on traditional 2-D gestures.
1. Set G-Player with a period of “No Response” after completing “Next Song” action
2. Hold hand for a second to determine music volume
3. Shorten distance of the action representing “Next and Previous Song”
4. Set some actions with sound response
Currently, there are three types of built-in music player for vehicle platform: Touch-tone; Touch screen; Touch-tone + Touch screen. Most vehicle-mounted music players are white tone or black tone. Besides, plastic and metal material are applied in music player design by most automobile enterprises. The design style of vehicle-mounted music player should fit in with car interior design style.
MAGOTAN, a mainstream vehicle designed and manufactured by Volkswagen, China, has inherited calm, low key design style of Germany cars. The body design and interior design of this car ensures its business function. Therefore, the product design of G-Player should match with the overall style of MAGOTAN. For these reasons, the design characteristic of G-Player is prudent and technological.
Most HUD (also called Head up Display) interfaces are displayed on the front windshield. The core design philosophy of HUD interface is “better to be less”. To ensure driving safety and comfort, HUD screen should only show key information. Therefore, the UI style should be brief, pure and clear.